iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

A downtown place to tell Mesa's story

Let’s celebrate Mesa’s story and strengthen the emerging downtown arts and cultural district by renovating the city-owned historic Federal Building at 26 N. Macdonald Street. By making it the downtown home of the Mesa Historical Museum, residents can more easily learn how their city came to be and how the past is shaping the future.

224 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jim RipleyJim Ripley shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  City of MesaAdminCity of Mesa (Admin, Learn more about iMesa) responded  · 

The City of Mesa has contracted with Ron Peters of HistoricStreetscapes and Vince Di Bella of Sameish + Di Bella Architects to do the renovation of the Federal Building in downtown Mesa. When completed in summer 2015, the Federal Building will house the Mesa Historical Museum and sections of the Arizona Museum of Natural History.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve CoxSteve Cox commented  · 

I totally agree. Great idea. The current location (Horne & McKellips?) of the Mesa Historical Museum is no good. Very few Mesans know it exists. It's a bit of a secret and it ought not be. Great place.

• Dr Tyler RobisonDr Tyler Robison commented  · 

I grew up in Mesa and really love reading Jim's articles on the past, present and future of our city. Thanks for everything Jim!

• Leon CenicerosLeon Ceniceros commented  · 

Great idea. Anything to bring tourist visits to Downtown Mesa.

• Tiffany ArenasTiffany Arenas commented  · 

Great way to invigorate downtown and document our history. I'd love to have a place to tell the story of how Mesa citizens passed the MLK holiday.

• Jay ByronJay Byron commented  · 

Mesa has such a rich heritage. This a great place to share it with others

• Roger LidmanRoger Lidman commented  · 

A great opportunity for Mesa to enhance the cultural tourism potential for downtown and tell the story of Mesa's history. A win-win!

• Douglas BrimhallDouglas Brimhall commented  · 

Perfect re-use for the building! I remember going in there once-long ago-to get my Social Security card. And the many times I passed it as I left Dr. Wayne Peterson's dental office on Pepper Place, to walk to Everybody's Drug to redeem my ice cream cone coupon.

• Jim FarrerJim Farrer commented  · 

I am excited about the opportunity to use such a historical building in a very appropriate way!

• Greg MarekGreg Marek commented  · 

When Mesa received the building from the federal government, it was with the understanding it would be used for museum purposes. Using it for the MHS is a great use and fits into the downtown museum and arts and cultural district.

• nicolenicole commented  · 

I think having the museum downtown is a wonderful idea, this way one could visit museums, stores, restaurants all in the downtown area, and not have to drive to Lehi to learn about Mesa history.

Feedback and Knowledge Base