iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

Pioneer Park Locomotive

216 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jared SmithJared Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John A. IngramJohn A. Ingram commented  · 

Having a personal interest in the train, and a desire that our children not forget their history, who we are as a people, where we come from, and how we got to where we are now, I feel that it is important that the train be moved to a more prominent position in the park as a shining testimony of what we all have achieved together. It is my hope that the great public officials of Mesa will see fit to honor a small part of all of our history.

• Will KellerWill Keller commented  · 

The steam locomotive in the park represents a piece of machinery that was a major force in the settlement of Mesa and its growth for most of the last century. Let's keep in a state of display worthy of its significance to Meda's history

• Anonymous commented  · 

We save historical homes and other buildings, why not the train? Its part of our heritage that should be preserved. Once a year in Redmond, Oregon they bring out a steam engine on the tracks and hundreds of people come to see. It means so much to everyone, especially the senior citizens that remember the train actually working. No matter what, Mesa needs to clean the area and make it safe for everyone. Move it to the new area and keep it clean and free from cats, rodents, weeds etc. I would suggest contacting local steel supply companies to see if they would donate metal for replacement on the engine and possibly welders in the area to donate their time for the repairs. Its amazing what experts will do if you just ask them. If you ever have an auction, contact me, I am a metal artist and would be happy to donate a piece of art for your auction to generate money for your project. Simply because I love trains.

• Bob TuttleBob Tuttle commented  · 

As a visitor from out of state I recently visited the locomotive in Pioneer park (12/31/12) and must say that it was a very disgusting and nasty visit. First I shared the locomotive with over two dozen cats laying over under and around the locomotive with them climbing in and out of the cab and most any other opening. Dumped dry cat food, empty moist cat food cans and golf ***** were all over the place. The smell from the sorrounding area, that was used as a litter box was horrible, not to mention seeing kids playing on the play equipment just a few feet from the fence. I can only hope that the whole area was not just one large kitty litter box, including the playground area.
        After contacting the city and being told that basiclly they knew about it and it was OK, I again visited (today) and while the dry food and golfballs were gone, empty cans were still present and dozens of cats were still laying all aound the locomotive and the tables around it. It had just rained and the smell of the cat litter box was even worse then the first time.
        Sorry but that experience has turned me off to Mesa downtown and the locomotive.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please don't get let that old train go. My brothers, sister and I used to climb all over it and pretend we were the engineer or fireman operating the train. I know safety regulations are different now than in the 1970's, but something can / needs to be done to save it!

• dennis Lyndedennis Lynde commented  · 

Save the train, I used to climb on it when I was young enough to still climb. It's a piece of mesa history,
        Don't lose it .

• Bill NasBill Nas commented  · 

There is no question, we should preserve this wonderful piece of history for our future generations. This is an opportunity, please don't let this beautiful machine leave our community.

• Mardy Mardy commented  · 

The train is an iconic piece of history that should be both seen and heard. It's massive size is awe-inspiring and it was built in 1912, that's the very same year that the Titanic went down. Railroads opened up our country and put many people to work.This nostaglic time capsule deserves its place with our honor...

• BuzBuz commented  · 

any and all festivals that Mesa has, should be staged out of this park.......

• Jared SmithJared Smith commented  · 

Help the SaveOurTrain Committee restore Engine #2355 and move her to the front of the park where she can be seen and appreciated again. All Aboard!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base