iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

Create High Density Living in Downtown by Encouraging Construction of More Mid/High Rise Buildings

Light rail will be operating in Downtown Mesa in the next 4-1/2 to 5 years, which means a direct connection with ASU and Downtown Phoenix. Living in Downtown Mesa will become a viable option for ASU students who don’t want to live in Tempe among all the “kids”, and for those who work in Downtown Phoenix but don’t want to live down there. Downtown Mesa already has an Arts culture, and over the last 2-1/2 years, a night life is starting to immerge. Downtown Mesa can be a grownups playground, not as immature as Tempe, more sophisticated than Phoenix, but not snooty like Scottsdale. There’s a lot of work to be done, but a lot can happen in 5 years!

177 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    augiegasaugiegas shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JUDY MELLENJUDY MELLEN commented  · 

Downtown should reconsider making it PEDESTRIAN ONLY, even if it is only for a couple of blocks.
        The idea of sitting out for a nice lunch, dinner, coffee etc, with cars and exhaust fumes is a real turn off and looking at the sustainable model, this is the new trend.
        The city council has to think long term. Just because the Feds are handing out money for the low income doesn't mean we have to build those habitats
        where we need a good image to attract business.

• Megan JohnsonMegan Johnson commented  · 

I agree with Amy about the population down town in the halfway houses, I work in the heart of Mesa and many times walk down to main street for lunch, there is a huge homeless population that needs to be addressed and helped.

• Amy CampbellAmy Campbell commented  · 

I don't see this working in Tempe - there are many mulit-use buildings along the light rail that have empty ground floor comercial space and desperate rental banners hanging from their roofs (specifically at McClintock and Apache and even right across the street from ASU). If ASU, with a 40k+ enrollment, can't sustain this rental market then there is no way it can happen in downtown Mesa.

I have lived and worked in downtown Mesa for almost 10 years and I am a property owner. I have lived in west Mesa all my life and I think the thing we really need is families in the Central corridor of Mesa, however, they won't come/stay because of incidents of crime and the perceived crime threat that comes from all the men's half-way houses in the downtown-central corridor. For example, one of the best elementary schools in Mesa is in the downtown area and there are at least two half-way houses on the same street with many more in the surrounding area.

We have many young couples who live in our neighborhood while they finish college and then they move because there are no houses to buy/rent and there is the perception that their children will not be safe growing up here. We are losing another family from our neighborhood this week for these reasons. The father has is doing his residency in pediatric medicine at PCH and the wife is working on her degree as an RN; they have three children. They are moving to Chandler. This happens every summer and it breaks my heart. We don't need to draw new people to this part of town we need to retain the good people who are already here and we need to help those who need help (specifically transitional living and half-way facilities) find it in a less concentrated manner.

One more example of safety in this area. I took my daughter on a walk a few weeks ago. We walked through the Mesa temple grounds to the Dairy Queen to get an ice cream cone. While we were sitting at a picnic table I was approached suddenly approached by a man who said "Hey where is mine?" He obviously was not talking about ice cream. I told him to leave and pulled out my cell phone and started dialing. He left. I was rattled but determined to have my walk with my daughter so we continued to Pioneer Park. As I crossed the street and entered the park there were men every where - sleeping under trees, standing around watching us enter the park, sitting on tables etc. Like I mentioned before I have lived in this area for a long time so I feel I have both a tolerance and a refined sense of when to get out of harm's way. I felt threatened and we left.

I want our parks back. I want to walk down the street and not wonder if the man walking toward me is one of the many transient ***-offenders I get notice of in the mail. I want to have a sense of community and not a feeling of defense and suspicion. I want to enjoy the beauties and convenience of downtown without out having to drive my car to protect my daughter and myself from transient men. I want families back in the beautiful old neighborhoods of Mesa.

I really hope that creating an urban density will help make some of these things happen but for those of us who live here now we fear it will only make things worse.

• JUDY MELLENJUDY MELLEN commented  · 

Hi everyone, it's Judy in the Duke Manor neighborhood.

The best thing to do for downtown Mesa is make it Pedestrian only. Just Main Street or more??? McDonald or Robson too??. Then the appeal for a higher density apt or condo properties would be far more appealing. Check out other cities for their strategies.
        People want GREENSPACE! they are starved for it. And folks will walk if it's safe and pretty with good restaurants and shopping sprinkled in,It's a winner for MESA.

• David CrummeyDavid Crummey commented  · 

I'm excited about the new code revisions with TOD that may change the look and feel, especially in the station areas.

• augiegasaugiegas commented  · 

Dan and Lisa, like I've said before, the positive things that are happening in Mesa wouldn't have been possible were it not for people like you guys that have set a good foundation. I can't wait to see your project moving forward, it will set the stage for great things to come.

• Dan and Lisa RandallDan and Lisa Randall commented  · 

Augie, you know we are on board! We can't wait to build the first multi-use single family residences along the light rail! We are ready to go on the project and know this is will offer Mesa residents opportunities they have never had before! Dan and Lisa Randall

• Marco MerazMarco Meraz commented  · 

Augie, I'm all for your vision and this type of planning in down town Mesa. We finally have leadership that has broken the mold. I'm excited to participate and be a part of this ...been waiting my whole life.

Feedback and Knowledge Base