iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

Create better riding paths.

Currently the only places in the phx metro area to ride a bicycle more then a mile without stopping is the greenbelt in Scottsdale, or the long roads on the reservations. The canals can be better. Take the Santa Ana River in so-Cal as an example. LONG paths that go for miles.

141 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LuisLuis commented  · 

How about an update from the city?

Been 2 years since the voters approved, but not seeing much in the way of construction.

• Anna gamesAnna games commented  · 

I love this idea as well! Although the summers are hot, the rest of the year is perfect for bike riding and if Mesa is truly trying to urbanize the center, this is essential!

Play agame: http://www.annagames.net/

• Mary AnnMary Ann commented  · 

I love the new Mesa bike paths. I ride daily. Thank you!!

• LuisLuis commented  · 

Hey admin,

It's been a year since you've commented on this. What's the progress, if any?

• FrozenFrozen commented  · 

Same question:
        Missed the community meetings. What came of them?
        Are the bike paths going to be extended?
        http://frozengames.org

• Anonymous commented  · 

The east/west flood control aqueduct on the north side of US60 from Dobson Rd. to Sossaman Rd. is a great opportunity to build a paved shared-use path.

• LuisLuis commented  · 

@cityofmesa admin, Any update on the progress? The weather will be getting nice again soon, and it would be awesome to take a bike to mesa riverview :)

• City of MesaAdminCity of Mesa (Admin, Learn more about iMesa) commented  · 

The West Mesa Connector Pathway (the section you are referring to) is very important. It may appear that greater importance has been placed on other projects based on the amount of time it takes to start or complete a project but that is often times due to other circumstances. For example, the Rio Salado Pathway project has the advantage of having a significant amount of design work completed in advance as part of another project. Rest assured, both the West Mesa Connector Pathway project and the Rio Salado Pathway project are of equal importance and are being completed as quickly as possible.

• City of MesaAdminCity of Mesa (Admin, Learn more about iMesa) commented  · 

The actual construction of a bike path – the part you see – takes about 6-12 months. But before construction can start, the path has to be designed, environmental impact studies completed and, in some cases, land has to be acquired

• LuisLuis commented  · 

Curious as to why this is pushed out so far. The new concrete paths along lindsay were poured pretty quickly.

Seems like a really long timeline for the new bike paths.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

The path that should have the highest (# 1) priority is the path connection between HoHoKam Park and Riverview across the Mesa Golf & Country Club. When this path is completed, people can walk, bike or skate between the two baseball parks. Attend a game at HoHoKam and eat at a restaurant at Riverview. Completing the connection across the Mesa Golf & Country Club will pretty much complete the Consolodated Canal Path with paving. I hope the City Parks & Recreation Dept. and the Transportation Dept. will give serious consideration to this suggestion.

• LuisLuis commented  · 

Rode this weekend and used new connection from Lindsay/Pueblo to Freestone in Gilbert. Mesa is becoming a great place for biking. Really looking forward to the connection from Hohokam to Tempe Town Lake.

Also, not sure if it's on the roadmap, but there's about a two mile gap of unpaved trail on the Eastern canal in Mesa. If it was paved, it would connect Gilbert & the 202 all the way down to Gilbert Rd & Pecos over about 14 and a half miles of safe riding.

And... after that, go pave a mile and a half southwest of gilbert rd & the 202 to connect to the existing path at Horne/Brown, and we end up with another huge 33 mile crescent shaped loop that runs next to 19 different city parks and fields between Mesa and Gilbert.

• euhilleuhill commented  · 

You forgot to mention the path that runs along the Arizona canal between East Phoenix and Glendale as well the connecting path along Cave Creek Wash.

As for the Consolidated canal path, Mesa is in the process of paving the last two miles to Gilbert. When it will be finished, who knows. Gilbert and Chandler have some areas where this path still needs paving. Although I do believe one of those areas is now paved between Gilbert and Chandler.

• David RitkoDavid Ritko commented  · 

HOw about every time a street is redone, a bike lane is put in. It's sad that HW87 has NO bike lane as it goes through Mesa from the 60 to Main St. And this is a major highway

• LuisLuis commented  · 

Mark, I believe that's exactly what the proposals will do. The current paths go from Pueblo and Lindsay all the way to Hohokam park. The proposal lists 2 sections that would connect hohokam park to the north side of the riverview shopping area, then again under the 101/202 stack all the way to tempe town lake.

This would be a really good thing because it means a safe trail all the way to the lake as well as a connection to the scottdale green belt.
        Hopefully at some point they could also connect the south end a little further and we could bike all the way from Freestone park in Gilbert. Then it would be up to Gilbert to finish paving the trail that connects to the already paved trail along the canal in Chanlder. That Chandler one goes for several miles south along the canal.

How about a paved trail going from Hunt Highway and Arizona Blvd all the way to 92nd Street & Shea that spends about 21 of those miles going through Mesa?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base