iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

Foster the development of an "Urban Garden" in an empty parcel(s) close to Downtown/ Farmers Market

Urban Gardens are typically cared for by volunteers. In Mesa, we have numerous empty parcels close to downtown restaurants and the Mesa Community Farmers Market. If grown in a protected sight- herbs and herloom vegetables can be sold to area restaurants like Il Vanaio and shoppers at the Farmers Market.

Some of these presently empty parcels in Mesa Grande already possess flood irrigation rights. Similar Gardens are successful in Phoenix and Tempe- often they are irrigated with captured Rain water.

So many of the homes close to downtown Mesa possess large lots with flood irrigation. A visible and Urban Garden would be a great way to celebrate one of the unique attributes of the neighborhood.

Overall, it is a great way to instill community pride, beautify a neglected parcel of land. and begin to "Brand" the area in a more meaningful way.

325 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniel Wohlslagel / Duke Manor MesaDaniel Wohlslagel / Duke Manor Mesa shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  City of MesaAdminCity of Mesa (Admin, Learn more about iMesa) responded  · 

The City of Mesa is partnering with the West Mesa Community Development Corporation, DMB and other organizations to celebrate the grand opening of the Washington-Escobedo Community Garden at 503 N. Lewis St. The community garden will have 27 gardening beds on a small parcel adjacent to the former Washington Activity Center. The Washington-Escobedo Community Garden is part of the iMesa initiative.

Ribbon Cutting Event:
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013
    Time: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
    503 N. Lewis Street
    http://apps.mesaaz.gov/EventCalendar/Default.aspx?edtid=14089

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Terry BenelliTerry Benelli commented  · 

The GRand Opening event for this iMesa Project is January 26th from 3-moonrise. Come support the garden and see what a huge transformation of a dirt lot into a productive garden and community asset has occurred in about 6 months. See http://www.mesaurbangarden.com/ for details or just stop by on the 26th. 1st Avenue just east of Hibbert - you can't miss it!

• Brandon AdayBrandon Aday commented  · 

This is a great project and will be a wonderful addition to the community. The garden has a new website with more information and frequent updates. Visit http://www.mesaurbangarden.com to see what's happening this week!

• Emmy and John DavisEmmy and John Davis commented  · 

Sounds like a wonderful idea and opportunity for both the organizers and the consumers. I certainly will patronize it. Awesome!

• David CrummeyDavid Crummey commented  · 

Wow! Check out www.MesaUrbanGarden.com to see some of the proposed ideas! I feel like this is right on the verge of happening and I'm sure it can, with your support!

• Amy CampbellAmy Campbell commented  · 

Great idea. I saw a great program on PBS recently that takes this idea to a new level (I think it was an episode of the program Food Forward http://www.foodforward.tv/). A woman in Brooklyn created a business where she would provide a farmer for anyone who would provide her an urban yard to farm. It was a co-op that neighbors could buy into and receive 30+lbs of fresh produce each year. Great idea. Needs a real leader to get it going though. We have lots of yards in downtown/central area. They can use a good portion of mine :) (and it's irrigated).

• I Heart MesaI Heart Mesa commented  · 

We would love to help in any way that we can. Please let us know what we can do to help get this project underway! Count us in as gardeners.

• City of MesaAdminCity of Mesa (Admin, Learn more about iMesa) commented  · 

A Community Garden Team comprised of City staff, residents and other stakeholders is in place and has already begun regular meetings to coordinate details. We hope to kick off the garden as a "Make a Difference Day" downtown project in October. More details to follow as the project comes together.

• Monika RLMonika RL commented  · 

Great idea and that would take care of larger lots and restaurants or farmers markets. What about smaller communities and neighborhoods. I would love to see neighborhood gardens where several households could come together and work it like a co-op or something like it

• Terry BenelliTerry Benelli commented  · 

Where do we go to find the details of this planned project?

• Patrick DockensPatrick Dockens commented  · 

This is planned? Where are the details? This would be great for the empty lots on the southwest corner of Mesa Dr and University too.

• mark Freemanmark Freeman commented  · 

Drove bye proposed project, am willing to help with tillage and ground prep, is there irrigation available to site 17?

• David SheppardDavid Sheppard commented  · 

Great idea. the unused lots throught Mesa only detract from neighborhoods. The already mentioned added green would help immensly.
        One additional puls is the more land in "green'" usage lessens the amount of dust added to the air.
        Consumers benefit from local produce, irrigation water isn't wasted. It's a win win situation.

• JamieTJamieT commented  · 

Cleveland: Urban Farming
        While Cleveland's forlorn steel mills may be crumbling, the city's shopping malls are springing to life—plant life, that is. In the former Galleria at Erieview mall, a project dubbed Gardens Under Glass is helping the mall morph into a greenhouse. Sunlight streaming through the glassed-in atrium, as well as a hydroponics system, ensures the lush growth of vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, and tomatoes. Once harvested, the veggies are sold at the mall's weekly farmers' market.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base