iMesa is a resident driven effort to develop transformative community projects that will "Build a Better Mesa." iMesa gives you the opportunity to take the future into your hands and make the Mesa you want. Join the conversation today!

My idea to shape the future of Mesa is...

Make Mesa Community College a 4 year University and add research campuses downtown and at Gateway.

160 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James GiffordJames Gifford shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BMontBMont commented  · 

I've thought of this option as well, but with the recent efforts to recruit other colleges to Mesa I think we could expand this effort. Keep MCC a 2 year college, but have it feed into another college to complete the last 2 years that is somewhat affordable. That college recruited should be multi-degree focused. Specifically; business, healthcare, engineering or a focus on Mesa's own growth strategy for jobs. Educational centers will spur investment and growth in the area that would allow the areas to become more dense, which would fill the empty buildings and allow further growth to in-fill. This would also allow Mesa to strategically place public transportation in the area and better plan for the future. Who knows, maybe there will be a north/south extension of the light rail system that connects at the Sycamore station and can flow to Mesa Riverview/Chicago Cubs stadium, passing MCC & Hospital area and partner with Chandler for further growth if wanted. Not only would this allow public transportation resources to move to the East and fill that need, but allow further infrastructure in the East Valley and better differentiate itself from the rest of the valley. Sure would be nice to have light rail out to the airport eventually.

• Theresa S.Theresa S. commented  · 

Personally I think we should keep MCC as a 2 yr college--it's affordable, flexible schedules and a foundation for recent high school graduates. Keep it simple not overdo!

• John OgdenJohn Ogden commented  · 

The cost for attending MCC is reasonably affordable. If it turns into a $ year college the tuition will also increase. I for one am not ready for that.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Kathy is right. A four year university would revitalize the Fiesta mall area. It should follow grand canyons example, but on the public side. Could provide some medical trainning or degrees due to "Desert Sam" next door.

• k.m. oxidinek.m. oxidine commented  · 

****, no. It is bloated, useless organization already.

• Kathy Kathy commented  · 

MCC could follow the concepts of Grand Canyon and be an intimate 4 year school. ASU and U of A have grown so large some young people are eaten up by the size. Small businesses would grow again if there was a need in the area to service a college community and with all the apartments in the area there would be plenty of housing.

• Jeff GreenJeff Green commented  · 

They can always make another Community College. But what about a University that draws an out of state community into Mesa. I'm not sure if this is the best rout but MCC currently is in a prime location (Right off of the freeway) and a university would grow the consumer pop. greatly because of all the disposable income students have.

• SaraSara commented  · 

Mesa Community College needs to stay a CC. It is one of the few affordable education options in our society. Having attended MCC in the past, their professors are very professional, knowledgeable, and supportive. If you want a 4 year university, attend ASU @ Williams.

• Patrick DockensPatrick Dockens commented  · 

Though there may be a need for a 4-year university in Mesa, there is also a need for a community college and MCC fits that bill nicely!

• David YauchDavid Yauch commented  · 

I don't think simply making all of MCC as it currently stands into a 4-year university is a fully developed plan. The final plan would need to account for the need for remedial/non-academic courses. I don't think this is an unsurmountable or even particularly difficult issue.

• Sanjeev RamchandraSanjeev Ramchandra commented  · 

If MCC were to become a 4-year university, it couldn't offer the level of remedial & other non-acaedmic courses that it does now and its mission would fundamentally change as a result.

MCC isn't anywhere close to running out of room... It is largely a one-story campus which could easily be built upwards if need be. It also has a lot of vacant retail nearby which could be purchased by the college just as ASU has done over several decades in surrounding areas in Tempe.

• wowerwower commented  · 

wower
        I think NAU, ASU and UA should offer full degree programs at all community colleges. Community colleges and state universities recieve public funds, I dont understand why ASU, NAU and UA need to offer MBA's in a private building. its a waste of money. Use the resources we have such as community college building. A Classroom is a Classroom. I dont think Community colleges should go by itself and start offering 4 yr degrees or Polytech needs to be seperated out.. the reason being it will lose its funding and its accreditation. Most Engineering companies won't even hire people or pay less to people who graduate from non abet schools, especially boeing, general dynamics, lockheed and such.. no matter how smart they maybe.. there is a monopoly in abet accreditation and engineers at these companies seem to terrorized abet grads with development path. However State funded schools and federal funded loan recieving schools need to participate and offer full degree programs at community colleges where they dont have a campus and all ASU campus need to offer mba and phds for non traditional students (evening classes) especially polytechnic which is so underserved between mesa, gilbert and queen creek close to 750,000 people i bet you there is atleast 1000 people who would love to do their mba's and phd at that campus.

MCC is already running out of room and may not have enough space to offfer 4-year degrees. Poly campus needs to expand as its current programs are limited since ASU decimated that campus a couple of years ago due to budget cuts and to reduce competition with its main campus in Tempe.

I like this idea for Mesa because making MCC a 4-year college would create a demand for student housing in the area. Students living in this area would help business at Fiesta Mall and the surrounding businesses, and hopefully dorms could be built in areas that are currently failed retail.

Transforming Poly alone isn't going to increase the supply of education in Mesa. It already is a university campus with research programs. Making MCC a 4 year college initially focusing on popular degrees will allow Mesa residents to purse a 4 year degree without trekking to ASU and will open up degrees not currently taught at Poly. A pre-med program to feed students to AT Still and a BSN program to feed highly-trained nurses to Banner Desert would be some cool options.

How about instead transforming the ASU Polytechnic campus into a separate, free-standing state university?

Click on the link below to view my website which advocates restructuring the Arizona University System to provide greater accessibility, affordability, and accountability to a public university education for many more Arizonans while breaking-up the ASU monopoly within Greater Phoenix.

My plan does this by merging the ASU West & Polytechnic campuses into an independent, "medium-cost", and moderate research state university that is then housed at the Polytechnic campus location while the West campus then transforms itself into an independent, "low-cost", and non-research state university.

Click (or copy and paste) the link below to view my strategic plan for the details of my university system restructuring plan:

http://PSUandAzTech.blogspot.com

• JamieTJamieT commented  · 

Those research campuses would dovetail nicely with business incubators.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base